Powered by Blogger.

Followers

There was an error in this gadget
Friday, May 6, 2011

postheadericon The Scariest Day of My Life

Wednesday, April 27, started out like any other day. I woke up at 5 AM to work on my blog before heading to school. I knew that that night horrible storms were expected and I wanted to get a few blogs done before school.  At 5:30 AM my phone starts ringing non stop. I turn on the weather and hear that tornadoes are already forming. A few minutes later my friend , Ashley, calls and says take cover now. I still think nothing about it. Our satellite goes out and I can no longer see the news. I tell my husband and he looks out the window. All of the sudden everything outside starts to change and he screams to get the baby into the bathtub (smallest room in our house without windows). The power went off and we start hearing the most horrible noises.

In the meantime, my mom calls crying asking if we are ok. I tell her we are fine and ask what is wrong. She says that her neighborhood looks like a war zone. That trees and tin are everywhere but all the houses are fine. My husband goes outside and finds that out metal storage building is gone, and the backyard fence is bent from damage. We have trash all over our yard. I call the school and tell them we have no power so I will probably be late.

We still are not thinking that their is anymore damage. While my husband is cleaning the yard he starts seeing everyone in the neighborhood turning around at the end of the road. We get in the car and are amazed by what we see. Almost every HUGE tree in our town is down on cars, houses, power lines, etc. There are many houses that are demolished. You can't drive through down the road because of trees. 

We thought this was awful. It takes 2 hours to make the 5 minute drive to my grandmother's house. We stay at home in the dark all day. Of course we have no groceries that do not have to be cooked because it is almost the day for me to go shopping. That afternoon we decide to go find some food because we are very hungry. I start getting text messages from teachers I work with saying a tornado is heading to your town. We finally get into town and power is out everywhere. A tornado had just hit downtown and destroyed much of it. Many homes and businesses were lost. We finally try to head home.

Many more tornadoes came that night. Alabama has so much destruction it is unbelievable. We were without power for 8 days. We ended up just losing our shed, a portion of our fence, and our food in our freezers and refridgerator. We are so thankful that we are safe. Hundreds of people were killed and thousands injured. Please say a special prayer for the state of Alabama!

7 comments:

CinCinD said...

How horrifying! I'm so glad to hear you and your family are okay!
From Cindie at Sass & Charm

Brittney said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Brittney said...

What a horrible experience! Glad you guys are ok. Keeping Alabama in our prayers!

La Madison Boutique said...

Hi Brittney,
I am so glad you and family are ok. That is so sad what has happened to Alabama, my heart and prayers goes out to you all. I know what you are going through. Katrina in Louisiana was no picnic either.

Lisa said...

Hello Brittney,
Glad to hear you and your family are ok and safe from those horrible tornadoes. Thoughts and prayers are with those who were less fortunate.

•´.¸¸.•¨¯`♥Kat F.♥´¯¨•.¸¸.´• said...

I am so happy to hear you & your family are safe. What a horrifying experience. I hope you continue to be out of harm's way. All the best!

tamiv said...

I Just read your story and WOW ,what a experience you had! I'm so glad ya'll or OK!

About Me

Brittney Canady
View my complete profile

Take A Button

Polkadot Reviews And Giveaways
a border="0" href="http://www.tightwadinutah.com/p/giveaways-ending-this-weekend-with-low.html" target="_blank">